All of us have experienced having a fever episode more than once in our lifetime. You can imagine how worried and anxious our parents have been when we were kids, and we are nursing a medical condition that causes us to have high body temperatures. But is fever considered a medical problem on its own, or is it a symptom of a health issue?
Here, let us discover all the things we need to understand about fever, its main definition, common causes, symptoms, and how to treat it by choosing the best fever medication.
Fever is a very common sign of an underlying health condition that may or may not need further assessment and treatment. What makes it alarming is if it is accompanied by other symptoms like pain, body weakness, and many more. We asked doctors and medical specialists and conducted interviews and surveys to find out which fever medicines do most people use and trust. After several days of data gathering and analysis, we have narrowed down our list to the top 5 best medicines for fever.
Best overall: Tylenol Extra Strength
‘Tylenol Extra Strength Rapid Release Gels target the source of the pain and reduces pain instantly.’
Best pain and fever medication recommended by specialist: Aleve (Naproxen sodium)
‘Aleve caplets and the #1 pain and fever medicine recommended by orthodontic surgeons in the US.’
Best fast-acting pain and fever reliever: Percogesic Original Strength
‘This aspirin-free combination of acetaminophen and diphenhydramine does not need a prescription.’
Best medicine for muscle aches and pain with fever: Advil Liqui-Gel
‘A well-known brand trusted by doctors to treat acute pain and fever faster with its soft gelatin capsule preparation.’
Best NSAID brand: Motrin IB
‘This pain and fever relief medication blocks all kinds of body pain signals using the powerful NSAID ibuprofen.’
Here are our top 5 choices as candidates for the best fever medications.
Both a pain reliever and an antipyretic, Aleve is a staple over-the-counter analgesic medication that a lot of people have trusted in relieving their fever and discomfort. If you need a pain reliever that can target any part of the body, trust that Aleve can deliver the right amount of relief and comfort that you are expecting in a world-renown pain reliever brand.
- Compatible to solve all sorts of body pains (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug or NSAID)
- Has a 12-hour strength and effect
- Both an antipyretic and analgesic
- Available in small oval caplets that are easy to ingest
- Has known side effects like abdominal pain, constipation, dizziness, diarrhea, or photosensitivity (pseudoporphyria)
- Can increase the risk of heart attack or stroke
- Intake should not exceed three caplets a day
Available at Amazon:
- 1 box of Aleve in 220 mg (270 caplets)
Advil has been a brand known to address fever and headaches safely and effectively for many years. As its manufacturer has now transformed its preparation into a soft gel-form capsule, you can be sure that its effect is now made faster and its absorption safer and more rapid as well.
- Lesser side effects compared to its NSAID counterparts
- Effective in addressing fevers and body pains, particularly headaches, arthritis pain, and pains caused by flu or colds.
- Has the lower incidence of any abdominal or gastrointestinal side effects or adverse reactions Works as fast as 10 to 15 minutes after intake
- Though lesser chances of developing any side effects, it can still cause stomach upset or bleeding tendencies
- It can be contraindicated for patients over 60 years of age, taking blood thinners or other NSAIDs, or has a history of ulcer or heavy consumption of alcohol.
- May cause allergies which can develop to hives, rashes, or asthma
Available at Amazon:
- 1 box of Advil Liqui-Gels in 200 mg (200 gel capsules)
Another well-known ibuprofen brand, Motrin IB is a very good choice for a medication that relieves pain and reduces fever at the same time. If you are searching for an effective and one of the best fever medication, choose Motrin IB, and you can be sure that its effects to relieve your body discomfort and fever will be satisfactory.
- Relieves mild to moderate pain and discomfort, as well as reduces fever
- It works by blocking the pain signals to the brain
- Can also be used to ease muscle cramps, menstrual pain, and arthritis
- Contains 200 mg of ibuprofen in coated caplets, easy to take
- Usage cannot exceed more than 6 caplets a day
- Should not be used in children 12 years and under
- It could cause allergies if you developed one from dyes, preservatives, etc.
Available at Amazon:
- 50 pouches containing 2 pcs. of Motrin IB in 200 mg (100 tablets)
Acetaminophen or paracetamol is a known generic pain reliever that can be used as a safe and effective medicine for fever as well. Whether it is headache, migraines, abdominal cramps, or back pain, you can trust that Tylenol Extra Strength can handle it safely.
- Available in gelatin-coated tablets
- Effective in relieve adult fevers and pains caused by headaches, migraines, and other body pains
- A fast-acting solution that delivers the effect as soon as you take the drug
- Generally safe for pregnant women, but doctor’s advice should be followed.
- Usage cannot exceed the maximum dosage of 6 gelcaps a day
- Cannot be taken if you have known allergies or if you have a pre-existing liver disease
- Should not be taken by breastfeeding mothers as acetaminophen can be absorbed and passed into the breast milk.
Available at Amazon:
- 1 box of Tylenol Extra-strength in 500 mg (100 gel capsules)
If you are looking for the best fever medicine accompanied by signs of allergies, then Percogesic Fast Acting Original Strength tablets may be the best for you. The combination of acetaminophen and diphenhydramine address fever, pain, and symptoms of allergies like frequent sneezing, runny nose, and itchy nose.
- The medicine of choice for fever associated with allergies or flu
- Can help relieve fever, body pains, and symptoms of allergies
- Generally safe and is available for over-the-counter use
- It is aspirin-free in an easy-to-swallow table preparation
- Should not be taken by patients with known allergies to acetaminophen or diphenhydramine
- Not compatible with patients with problems in the kidneys, heart, thyroid (hyperthyroidism), and eyes (glaucoma)
- Is not safe to use for pregnant women
Available at Amazon:
1 bottle containing Percogesic (Acetaminophen 325 mg/Diphenhydramine HCl 12.5 mg) (90 easy-to-swallow coated tablets)
An Overview On What Is Considered A Fever
A fever is the rise of body temperature that goes above the normal range of 36 to 37 degrees Celcius (98 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit). We can measure fever through skin palpation on the forehead, but a more accurate way to determine the presence of fever is to use a thermometer.
What Causes Fever?
Generally speaking, our body temperature varies and is affected by a lot of factors. It can rise depending on the activities we are actively participating in.
Eating can also increase our normal body temperature. For women, increased female hormones estrogen and progesterone during their fertile days can be determined by fluctuations in their body temperature.
However, these factors do not necessarily cause a person to have a fever. So what causes this abnormal surge in temperature?
This is by far the most common reason why a patient will develop a fever. Any infection in the body, caused by bacteria, virus, or any disease-causing microbes, can affect the body temperature. You see, the body has its own ‘internal soldiers’ in the form of the immune system that combats the effects of an infection. Their actions cause the body to increase in temperature. So if you are having a fever and are assessed to have been affected by an infection, you can feel grateful that your body is doing its job to protect you from developing further complications.
Some vaccines can cause fever in kids, but these instances only develop low-grade fevers that can be on-and-off for one to two days.
Infants can also develop fever or a mile rise in their body temperature once their tooth begins to erupt one by one.
Other causes of fever
- Food poisoning
- Prolonged sun exposure
- Intake of certain medications
Symptoms Associated With Fever
Once you have a fever, it can be associated with the following symptoms that make you feel more uncomfortable and in pain.
- Chills and shivers
- Cold sweats
- Headaches or migraines
- Body aches and pains
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Body weakness
How To Break A Fever or Flu
Caring for a person with a fever depends on its cause, severity, and the age of the patient.
Cause. Knowing what caused the fever can help you address this symptom effectively and correctly.
Severity. A mild increase in the normal body temperature with no other associated symptoms does not warrant an emergency medical consultation.
However, if the fever is high and is accompanied by moderate to severe signs of infection or underlying medical condition, a trip to the doctor is necessary.
Age. Fevers in infants and toddlers should not be disregarded as a normal reaction of their body to a stimulus.
It is best to monitor their body temperature round-the-clock, and if their fever rises to 37.8 degrees Celsius (100 degrees Fahrenheit)and above, talk to your pediatrician as soon as possible so you can determine what caused this.
How To Break A Fever At Home
If you are nursing a mild fever with or without any other symptoms, here are some of the tried-and-tested home remedies to lower your temperature.
- Drink plenty of water
- Use cold packs on armpits, forehead, and groin area
- Have a sponge bath or a soothing bath with lukewarm/tepid water
- Wear loose clothing to make yourself comfortable; cotton fabrics are preferred
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever or antipyretic
How to Choose the Best Fever Medication That Really Works
Not all fevers need to be treated with medications. What we mentioned earlier are adequate practices that you can try at home without any pharmacological interventions. However, should your fever rise or reach an alarming rate of 39 to 40 degrees Celsius (102 to 104 Celsius Fahrenheit), this can warrant the use of several antipyretics and analgesics that lowers your body temperature and act as a pain reliever.
Sirius Health is employing its independent studies and surveys when gathering data and review analysis. Its editorial team follows a set of established and strict rules and regulations to ensure that reliable information and responsible journalism are distributed and imposed. It uses data gathered from peer reviews, research studies, and academic assessments and analyses from international medical associations and institutions.
Jalloh M. (2016). Choosing the Best Fever Reducer.
Medications for fever.
(2015). Medications used to treat fever.
Ambardekar N. (2018). How to Choose Over-the-Counter Cold and Flu Meds
Mayo Staff. Fever: Diagnosis and treatment.